Install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 5T:The one Android smartphone that has been in chatters beside the Google’s Pixel 2 is definitely the OnePlus 5T. Have you bought OnePlus’ latest flagship yet? Then here’s your chance to install TWRP recovery and root OnePlus 5T.
The company made its debut in the bezel-less lineup with its new device. The phone while offering the new full-view display, intuitive design, and powerful hardware, has also cut down on the price tag; Which makes it probably easily affordable, thus giving a tough competition to its contenders. The talking is not enough, and not something you haven’t already heard. Overall, the phone is ‘Value for money’.
But that’s just not it; some users constantly look for more control over their devices, concerning the software. If you’re one such power user and want to root OnePlus 5T, then we have got you covered.
Table of Contents
Benefits of TWRP and Root:
While a majority of smartphone users are quite familiar with the term “Root”. But if this is your first time rooting an Android, let us take you through a list of advantages.
- Attain full control over your device. After rooting, you will be able to gain access to all the files in the system partition. Thus, you can install custom themes, boot animations, fonts, etc.
- Get rid of annoying pre-installed OEM apps. Once you root OnePlus 5T, you can easily uninstall proprietary apps that could be annoying at most times and barely used.
- Rooting also allows you modify your CPU’s clock speed and give a decent push to your phone’s performance.
- You can also take full backups of your current firmware. It can come in real handy if you wish to try custom ROMs like Paranoid Android, LineageOS, etc.
So now, if you wish to take advantage of all these features, then follow this guide to install TWRP recovery and Root OnePlus 5T.
- The files and instructions here are strictly meant for the OnePlus 5T. Do not attempt to flash them on any other device than the one mentioned.
- Take a full backup of your OnePlus device. Taking Backup includes the messages, contacts, and even internal storage; Though nothing shall be lost while performing the process. But it is better to be prepared.
- You must first unlock bootloader on OnePlus 5T.
- Make sure that you have Android SDK tools installed on your PC.
Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T:
Before you root OnePlus 5T, you will first need to install TWRP recovery on it. Since TeamWin recovery is now officially available for the device, you can flash it easily using Fastboot.
- Download the TWRP recovery img for OnePlus 5T: Link
Copy the downloaded file (twrp-3.2.0-0-dumpling.img) to the C:\adb folder.
Now while holding the SHIFT key on your keyboard, right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
Select ‘Open Command window here‘ or ‘Open PowerShell window here‘ from the menu that pops up.
The CMD/PowerShell window shall open up on your PC’s screen.
Now boot your OnePlus 5T into Bootloader mode. To do so, first power off your OnePlus device. Next, press and hold the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously to enter Bootloader mode.
- While your device is in bootloader mode, connect it to the PC.
Now enter the following command in CMD/PowerShell to make sure that the device is connected properly.
- The command shall return a device ID.
- Finally, install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5T using:
enter command: fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.0-0-dumpling.img
Once flashed, you can reboot your device:
If you wish to boot into recovery mode, press and hold the Volume Down + Power button altogether. Now move ahead and root OnePlus 5T using the steps below.
Root OnePlus 5T using SuperSU or Magisk:
You can either root your device through two different tools. You can either opt for SuperSU, which is a dedicated root solution. Or, you can choose Magisk, which is way more than a root solution and provides support for modules too.
- Download the root package that you want to flash using TWRP recovery:
- Once you have downloaded the zip file, transfer it to your phone’s internal storage.
Next, boot your OnePlus 5T into TWRP recovery:
- Power off the phone.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons until you see the OnePlus logo.
When you boot into TeamWin recovery for the first time, you will be prompted with the system modifications message. Just swipe the ‘Swipe to allow modifications‘ button.
Then, tap on the ‘Install‘ button and select the SuperSU/Magisk root zip.
- Finally, when the file has been selected, swipe the button ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash‘ on the screen to root OnePlus 5T instantly.
When the flashing process is complete, tap on the ‘Wipe Dalvik/Cache‘ button. And then press the ‘Reboot System‘ button to boot back into the rooted firmware.
Once your phone boots back, you can go ahead and try root-enabled apps on your OnePlus 5T.
Following the above steps, you can easily install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 5T. If you face any problems while rooting your phone, ping us through the comments.